Sunday, September 22, 2013

The Emmy Awards: Who Will Win and Who Should Win

The Emmy Awards on are tonight.  I've decided this year that I'm not going to play it safe and will make some crazy predictions. AKA, I'm probably going to be completely wrong this year.  But, hey, what's the fun in guessing these things if you don't take some risk, eh?

Without further ado, my picks for who I think will win the Emmy's and who I think should win.


BEST DRAMA SERIES, the nominees are:

Breaking Bad
Downton Abbey
Game of Thrones
Homeland
House of Cards
Mad Men

Who Will Win: Breaking Bad
Who Should Win: Homeland

I won't be disappointed if Breaking Bad wins, seeing how it's been on a great run last year (and even better currently in it's final 8 episodes) but Homeland is definitely the best show on television, in my opinion.


BEST COMEDY SERIES, the nominees are:

30 Rock
The Big Bang Theory
Girls
Louie
Modern Family
Veep

Who Will Win: 30 Rock
Who Should Win: ???

It's probably going to go to Modern Family, if not then Louie, but I'm predicting it'll go to 30 Rock as a going away present for the show.  As for who should win, well that's impossible for me to say.  I've seen a couple of episodes of 30 Rock this season and it's pretty funny still.  But it's been a long time since I last saw Modern Family.  Nothing from this season and I need to give the other shows a chance.  It's too bad though that the real best sitcom on television wasn't nominated, the wonderful Parks and Recreation.


BEST ACTOR in a DRAMA SERIES:

Hugh Bonneville, Downton Abbey
Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad
Jeff Daniels, The Newsroom
Jon Hamm, Mad Men
Damian Lewis, Homeland
Kevin Spacey, House of Cards


Who Will Win: Kevin Spacey
Who Should Win: Damian Lewis


Tough category to pick.  I think most people seem to think it's a tight race between last year's Lewis and returning heavyweight Cranston, but don't count out either movie stars (Spacey and Daniels).  And if Emmy voters wish to award House of Cards something, this is probably their best and only real shot at giving it something.  Of course Daniels had that amazing speech in the pilot, the episode he submitted, but what's going against him is the fact that his show, The Newsroom, just doesn't have the buzz it use to have.  As for who should win?  Well, despite a strong turn from the always terrific Cranston, the performance that stayed with me the most, without a doubt, was Lewis's.  It's truly a riveting performance.


BEST ACTOR in a COMEDY SERIES:

Alec Baldwin in 30 Rock
Jason Bateman in Arrested Development
Don Cheadle in House of Lies
Louise CK in Louie
Matt LeBlanc in Episodes
Jim Parsons in The Big Bang Theory


Who Will Win: Louis CK
Who Should Win: ???

Again, I'm not sure who should win in this category because 30 Rock is the only one I saw a little bit of.  I will eventually catch some of the others.  As for who will win, I think it's a 3 way toss up between Louis CK, Jim Parsons or Alec Baldwin.  Baldwin could get it as a goodbye, but I think they are gonna go for Louis CK.


BEST ACTRESS in a DRAMA SERIES:

Connie Britton in Nashville
Claire Danes in Homeland
Michelle Dockery in Downton Abbey
Vera Farmiga in Bates Motel
Elisabeth Moss in Mad Men
Kerry Washington in Scandal
Robin Wright in House of Cards

Who Will Win: Claire Danes
Who Should Win: Claire Danes

Easiest category to call.  While I suppose there is a slight chance that either Washington or Farmiga could prove to be a spoiler, but I doubt it.  I'm pretty sure that Danes has this in the bag, and she should too.  It's an amazing performance.


BEST ACTRESS in a COMEDY SERIES:

Laura Dern in Enlightened
Julia Louise Dreyfuss in Veep
Lena Dunham in Girls
Edie Falco in Nurse Jackie
Tina Fey in 30 Rock
Amy Poehler in Parks and Recreation


Who Will Win: Amy Poehler
Who Should Win: Amy Poehler


This might be just wishful thinking on my part, but I do believe that this is finally Poehler's year to win.  Of last year's winner, Dreyfuss, could prove to ruin that.  And if Emmy voters are wishing to give 30 Rock one last hurrah in it's final season, Fey could take it as well.  But, as much as I love both of those ladies, I've got my fingers crossed for Poehler.


BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR in a DRAMA SERIES:

Jonathan Banks in Breaking Bad
Bobby Cannavale in Boardwalk Empire
Jim Carter in Downton Abbey
Peter Dinklage in Game of Thrones
Mandy Patinkin in Homeland
Aaron Paul in Breaking Bad

Who Will Win: Aaron Paul
Who Should Win: Jonathan Banks or Mandy Patinkin


Emmy voters sure do love Paul in Breaking Bad, which is why I think he's going to make history tonight and be the first actor ever to win 3 times in this category.  Normally, I would agree, Paul is awesome, but I personally felt like he was kind of underused in season 5.1 or 5a or whatever you want to call it.  I don't usually do ties, I normally find them to be a cop out, but I honestly can't choose between Banks or Patinkin.  Patinkin's work is so subtle that I fear he may be in danger of being overlooked and that would be a shame.  But Banks was also just incredible.  He's also a very subtle actor, similarly to Patinkin, but I think he had a little more to do than Patinkin did.  Still, a win by either would be fine by me.


BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR in a COMEDY SERIES:

Ty Burrell in Modern Family
Adam Driver in Girls
Jesse Tyler Ferguson in Modern Family
Bill Hader in Saturday Night Live
Tony Hale in Veep
Ed O'Neill in Modern Family

Who Will Win: Ed O'Neill

I think the Emmy's will go with O'Neill since he's a veteran who has never won.


BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS in a DRAMA SERIES:

Morena Baccarin in Homeland
Christine Baranski in The Good Wife
Emilia Clarke in Game of Thrones
Anna Gunn in Breaking Bad
Christina Hendricks in Mad Men
Maggie Smith in Downton Abbey

Who Will Win: Anna Gunn
Who Should Win: Anna Gunn

Maggie Smith could be a potential spoiler but hopefully not.  I think Smith is Gunn's only real competition although I also personally love Baccarin, but even I will go with Gunn, who was incredible in Breaking Bad in season 5.1


BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS in a COMEDY SERIES:

Mayim Bialik in The Big Bang Theory
Julie Bowen in Modern Family
Anna Chlumsky in Veep
Jane Krakowski in 30 Rock
Jane Lynch in Glee
Sofia Vergara in Modern Family
Merritt Wever in Nurse Jackie


Who Will Win: Jane Krakowski

Krakowski was pretty damn funny in her episode she submitted, which was the series finale.  I think she'll win but it wouldn't surprise me either if they went with either Modern Family women.  In fact, Bowen keeps winning this.  Will she win again?  We'll find out tonight.  But I'm going with Krakowski.

No comments:

Post a Comment